Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind.

I just finished reading this book titled, "The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind".


It's a real-life story about a boy in Malawi (Africa) who faced famine and drought early in his life and he couldn't afford to go to school but he persevered and went to the school library everyday to read some science books. 
His name is William Kamkwamba. 

He was inspired by a book that was donated from America called, "Explaining Physics" and through this book and 2 others, he and his two other friends, Geoffrey and Gilbert managed to build a windmill to power electricity for his home with scrap materials he salvaged from junkyards.

It's very touching, this story, because it made me realise what a comfortable life I've had. When his family was suffering from famine (3 scoops of food a day. 3!!!!) and he still had to walk like don't know how many kilometers to school and after that help his dad to work in the fields, what was I doing?
I was in my secondary school years busy trying to rebel the stupid authoritarians. 
And being pissed off at the world.

And he's so intelligent, with a strong love for school. People in Singapore hates going to school. But here he was saying how he missed school and how much he was missing from his other friends who did went to school.

It's a very good book. And some parts of it was very funny too. Like the part when he was describing how Malawi names often reflect the parent's greatest fears or the circumstances which they were in.
Like if it was a time of famine or drought and life was miserable, the Malawi name could be Simkhalitsa (I'm Dying Anyway) or Malazani (Finish Me Off) or Phelantuni (Kill Me Quick) or Maliro (Funeral) or Manda (Tombstone), or even Mdzimange (Suicide).

 

That's him on his windmill.
Can you believe it? All the materials are crafted by he himself! And his friends too.

It was all thanks to some Nigerian blogger who read about him and decided to find him that changed his life forever. Even Al Gore (My all-time favourite ex vice-president of US) gave a review on his book too.


 

That's his home. The car isn't his because according to the book he had to walk all the time, or in some cases, use his father's bicycle.

 

And he's my age!
I think the book is an inspiration to everyone like me, who lived a blessed life with comfort and luxuries.
I hope he does well and do something great with his future, although I think he already should have enough pressure on him right now.