Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Parents.

I think I'm doomed for exams. Too many things to read/memorise/remember/understand in too little time.

And yesterday I went into my kitchen to wash my plate after dinner and I heard my parents talking. I doomed my fate in this conversation when I asked them what were they talking about and they said, "Hele very cute one you know."

"What did she do or say?"

My father: Today in the car, we were talking about buying rojak to eat then she said she likes rojak.

And because I didn't respond to the so-called cuteness, he continued.

"Then we asked her whether she like chocolate more or rojak more."

I remained quiet while washing my plate.

"She said rojak, because the sauce is nice! Hahaha.", with my mom joining in the laughter.

"In what way is that cute?", I said when I was putting back the plate in the cupboard. You know maybe once or twice of experiencing her 'cuteness' can be called cute, but after like 4 years?

My mom got a bit pissed off because I refused to conform to the Hele-is-damn-cute ideology in our household.

My mother: She say the sauce nice ma! Last time you young that time also won't say the sauce nice. You know how to say meh??!

Well well well.

Might I remind you, MOMMY, that when I was young, I'd hardly get to eat anything with chocolate in it. Even with that stupid Smarties tube, you only let us eat ONE smarty (or whatever the singular word for one of a tube of Smarties is called) a day! ONE!!!
 And not forgetting the rojak sauce. I specifically remember my father telling me to not oh, or rather, forbidding me to not drink the sauce because it's too sweet and heaty.

WHEN HE'S DRINKING IT BY THE SPOONFUL TODAY!

Unlike my dear niece, or your first grandchild here, who is supremely spoilt by people around her.

Plus, you all have conditioned her into saying candid things like that when last time, WE were conditioned to keep quiet and don't talk/give opinions with the threat of a cane.

So please, don't talk about being cute.

You know, I'll really hate you if you're thinking I'm jealous of my own niece, because I really am not. And please do stop thinking that when I say I'm not jealous, actually I'm demonstrating the fact that I am.
You should really stop trying to psychoanalyse me, because I can do it myself.

I just cannot stand the difference in ways that my parents and my sister and her husband 'parent' their child. For one, it is starkly different. My parents give in to her all the time, and my sister, maybe sometimes and her husband is the disciplinarian.
Which by the way, I think is the best for a child like Hele. As in her husband's way of parenting, I mean.

But my opinion doesn't matter because I'm only an aunt. Furthermore you can argue that I don't have to right to talk about people's parenting styles but you should know its a fact that parents must have a consistent way of parenting their child.
Also, you might state that I'm not a parent yet. Ya, wait til' I am and if I make any mistakes, tutor/remind me alright?

And because I've learnt a bit of things about parenting and attachment styles and etc etc in Psychology that when I see her being taught like that with 3 different ways of parenting (you must remember the in-laws), I feel quite worried.

And frankly, I can't stand the way she's very rude (She beats my mom sometimes when she don't get her way and my mom doesn't do anything about it, when if it were me 17 years ago?? Caned to death.) and also, spoilt. And you can add in the fact that no one is doing anything about her voice.

I don't see how come my mom say she don't want my aunties to come over to play mahjong because they'd interrupt my studying when Hele, with her extremely high-pitched voice and her penchant for repeating things at that sound-pitch wavelength is NOT interrupting my studies at all.

Imagine trying to use your reticular function to filter out a voice like Hele's while you're trying hard to mug, compared with filtering out the sound of your fan motors whirring. Or Ernie looking at me while I'm studying.


Actually, Ernie's gaze helps me. Okay, enough side-tracking.

Oh, I understand it's because my sister don't have the time to look after her, but still.

And I'm sick of people who don't reply my message when it's kind of urgent. I know you might be busy, but still, doesn't the word, "urgent" imply anything? It's not like I'm very free too right?


I came up with my brilliant plan a few months ago. Stop making the first move. What's the point when they don't appreciate what you do or take advantage of it or don't even give a reply?

I really hate it when people contradict themselves. Maybe once or twice is normal for Homo Sapiens, as dictated by Tan Wen Er herself, but when things get so obvious? You have no choice but to bear grudges about the Rojak sauce or one lame Smarty per day or so-called 'relationship won'ts or will-dos'.

You know what? I should just shut up, and study. 100 pages of mind-blurring reading to do.