Monday, November 09, 2009

Bomb Squad.



I just finished watching The Hurt Locker.

I really like war movies/shows.

Especially after like Black Hawk Down/Generation Kill.

Especially especially after reading my Generation Kill book.

I think it's the male thing. The exclusion of females in them. No bitching about, no whining (like women do), etc etc.

Well, of course I believe that the directors choose to portray the US Marines/Army like super macho and stuff. But I think it also gives us an inside look into their mindsets during the war.

Like this Iraq War.

How after a year of 'meaningless' fighting and rising death toll of soldiers, the public consensus/opinions of the war switched to a negative one.

It shows a classic example of how our generation being raised in 'violent' environment, eg. violent video games, etc etc, and how the Marines and Army soldiers are portrayed like killing is nothing to them, like they almost enjoy it.

There was this transcript from a Marine in Gen Kill who was saying that,

"Back in America, people are rushing to the stores to get their US Weekly magazine and checking out where Jake Gyllenhal was last seen last Thursday, when last Thursday I was fighting for my life in an ambush, keeping my home country safe. Do they feel gratitude towards us? No. They want us soldiers to come back from Iraq, to stop the war. Who's going to keep these terrorists from invading our country then? That trailer trash neighbour in a wife-beater of yours?"

I think it's very interesting how these soldiers adjust back to 'normal' life after coming back from the war.

Regardless of background, what spoon you were born with, you're equals in the army. Don't talk about rank. That's different.

The thing is, you will hardly ever see a Dartmouth graduate mixing with a black guy from the hood back in America.