Friday, August 21, 2009

Too Much of Something is NEVER Good.

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same TV shows Mediacorp has been replaying on TV with our money.

My mom told me they pay about $110 a year to Mediacorp. I used to naively think that we just buy the TV and this magical antennae helps to get the broadcast-ed shows from the satellite far above my house for free. Nope. We need to pay for it.

And you know what? I can swear for the past half a year to a full year, our dear Mediacorp who received our parent's or rather, YOUR $110/yr (My mom told me how many TVs you have in the house doesn't matter. As long as you have at least a TV and you plan to watch Mediacorp shows on it, you pay S$110.) and play this stupid English b-grade movie called 'Extreme Ops' 4 times, maybe more. Or another example, 'Pitch Black'.

4 times.

I can even tell you what happen in 'Extreme Ops', because I've been channel surfing and seeing different parts of the show and after like 5 mins, I'll switch channel. It's about some skiing/snowboarding crew going up some mountain and being filmed skiing down the bloody mountain and in the process, they get into trouble with some people and they are followed and a few get killed. Something like that.

But that's so not the main point.

I've feeling quite pissed off because see, like 1 HDB flat/Condo have like at least a hundred units right? And in Singapore, there should be at least like a few hundred thousand flats/landed property/public areas with TV subscription. RIGHT?

Okay, put it to about 200,000 flats. Each flat approx = 100 houses. All together = 20,000,000
And assuming everyone has a TV at home, at least one, = 20,000,000 X S$110 = S$ 2,200,000,000.

That's like at least S$ 2.2 Billion right?

How come you're using our 2.2 Billion dollars to show us/me 'Extreme Ops' 4 times a year?

Is it because you think many Singaporeans are drinking tapwater with the oxidised Al(OH)4 that potentially can have increased chances to get Alzheimer's Disease (My Chem tutor taught me that, actually. We're not blaming you, PUB.) that we need 4 times the reminder about what 'Extreme Ops''s plot is about?

Or how about showing us 'Independence Day' or 'Titanic' or 'Armageddon' (I don't understand why that stupid Liv Tyler can be in the 'Houston' control room the whole day. She's not even working there right!?) like don't know how many freaking times that the 'I don't want to miss a thing' song by Aerosmith at the end of the show is subconsciously memorised in my head because I've been 'forced' to watch it on TV so many times as there are NO other nice shows to watch?!

And I'm not even a person that watches TV very often you know.

I mean, ya, they are blockbusters but no one would like to watch a blockbuster so many times right? And in a such a regular and short-spaced frequency?! I think you really make the money you guys spent on a reel of film or copyright or royalties or whatever it is you do on a single film VERY worth it for yourselves you know.

Or, maybe when your Saturday/Sunday Premiere/Prime movie or whatever, is like a show from 2 years ago, like 'Harry Potter and the Order of Pheonix'? Or '300'. I can easily pay like $5 and rent the bloody DVD right.

Also, how about cutting the bloody show in half and show it at like from 7.30- 9.30 and start again at 10.00 to 12.00pm!? And the bloody advertisements are so frequent and sometimes long because you stretched a 2 and a half hours or less movie into a 4 hour time slot!? How's that for peaceful TV-watching?

You know, depressed single people who may stay at home on Saturdays or Sundays may get even more depressed during all those commercial breaks and won't there be a higher frequency of contemplation of suicide!? I know so okay! Then they'll have so much time to think and think about how worthless they are, how life is not worth living during those commercial breaks. Maybe force out some pee and go to the toilet just to pass the time, or go to the fridge more often to get food.

Like, "YAY! Commercial break, I just finished my bag of chips, let me go to the pantry and see what else I have."

It's like an indirect process of letting us get fatter!

You might argue they can don't do that, don't blame it on us, but blah blah. My mom is a good example k! And I know a lot of other mothers or fathers are good examples of couch-fridge potatoes, so shut up.

Oh, you may argue, just go and get cable lah.

CABLE!!!! CABLE!!!!?

You want to talk to me about CABLE!

I've for yearssssssssssss wanted to have cable, but my dad don't allow. Let me repeat what he'll say.

"You still studying, later I subscribe you never study!"
OR
"Waste money!"
OR
"Cable got what nice things to watch!?"

Hello, I don't watch cable for the 'brainless' shows k. When I go over my sister's house (she has cable, OMG.) I ALWAYS watch either History Channel/Animal Planet/National Geographic/Discovery Channel.

Let me emphasise on the EDUCATIONAL. Okay.

And all this is not about ME getting cable, it's about my parents and your parents or you yourself paying this S$110 a year to watch shows being repeated. Not only is it highly irritating when I channel-surf and see that stupid show I've seen before being shown again, but I can spend this S$110 and buy 220 bowls of 50 cents Prawn Noodles from RGPS canteen okay. 220 bowls means 73 days of 3 meals a day. Which approximates to 2 months of food.

Don't tell me I'm being freaking calculative. I'm just sick of lousy shows and watching repeated blockbusters.

And local dramas. Don't let me start on it. What the hell.
I mean like what's with the stupid Beach Ball Babes show. No hot/good looking girls of substantial quality you want to title the show like that. Can die one you know.
And what's with the horrible hosting by Gurmit Singh on Singapore Idol. I hate Singapore Idol. Another thing to not get me started on k. The thing is, Mr Singh, I like you on PCK, but as a host, you're not too good.

I'm not saying normal TV is all that bad. Chinese variety shows like the Mark Lee's show on Channel 8 (Tuesdays) that just ended is not bad, and some channels like Okto with Animal Night/Culture X/Solved and all that is good. And Channel News Asia is not bad too.

I don't know about Vasamtham or how you spell it, but I watched the 'Jodhaa Akbar' show and it was not bad. Except like in all Bollywood shows, I can't believe the King had to sing for 10 minutes to his wife before they got on bed and had sex (which they conveniently didn't film of, not that I wanted to see..).

Anyway, back to the point. Seriously, dear Mediacorp. Maybe it's time for you to not waste our S$2.2 +/- Billion a year on crappy local dramas and invest it on new movies.

And I mean NEW and RECENT.

Oh yes, and please stop repeating them that you get noticed and caught by a TV-watcher in Singapore, like me.