Sunday, May 10, 2009

Say NO-SHH to Shark's Fin Soup like You Say NO-SHH to Drugs.

Good news. Looks like Lady Luck decided to shine on me and Lady Karma decided to postpone my punishment and my dad's going China and not me.

He decided he's feeling much better and had to forfeit an extra $750 for the air ticket because the airline said it's too late to make any last minute changes and air-ticket name-change can only happen once.

I'm feeling quite bad for my dad. I mean, it's like he's very unlucky. I hope he enjoys the trip though. My eldest sister booked the Taiwan air ticket for June this afternoon. Very happy. She said there are 2 places I'll confirm to shop until drop dead there, hopefully it's true, except for the dead part.

My sister's paying for the trip, very generous of her! Sometimes I marvel at people around me. My mom is quite unselfish, about sharing things, my eldest sister is very generous and etc etc.

I was reading the National Geographic magazine I bought that day this evening and it really struck me how selfish politicians can be for money. And not only politicians. Everyone. I mean, how could you not believe facts presented to you. And even if you can say you might not believe these facts because they are only presented to you to get you on the 'green' side or however you may argue it, you cannot deny that everything humans do now are causing the greenhouse effect to worsen and directly contribute to global warming.

Don't try and argue you read from whatever book or website that there are some scientists or researchers who plotted graphs to show that in fact, Earth is actually undergoing a 'warm' period now. Yes, I know it is, but it does not reflect the drastic changes and proof of everything that is happening in the world now. Flash floods in wet areas, dry areas getting drier.

Or you better not argue that you can't expect people who have to indirectly destroy the environment by illegally finning sharks or using slash and burn methods because it's their cheapest and fastest route to earning money for a living.

Yes, but to what end? People are just too selfish to think of the future, of their own children's or children's children's future. You can say, "You can't blame them!", well then, who do we blame? The politicians? Because in the end, they are the ones representing us, or rather, to their own needs, they make the decisions.

What our planet needs right now is either get EVERYONE in the world to work together to battle water and food shortages, share resources and get over their trivial grandfather's father's conflicts between families or countries, improve the state of things by using more green methods, which you may argue may still contribute to global warming but it's much more minimal..Or EVERYONE dies.

Detonate a bomb/release a virus that kills only every single human on Earth.
Personally, I think the 'everyone dies' method is better.

So I was just thinking that water levels are rising right? So why not try to, I say try to, decrease it slightly by desalinating water from the sea? That could decrease the water levels and ya, shut up. You're going to say it's a very expensive method.

But think about it, how many millions of dollars do our economy make per year? Add up all the countries and then think again. Are you very sure you can't afford to chip out that insignificant amount compared to how much you make per year in a country to solve at least one problem?

Or or...like people are out of jobs and are desperate for money now because the economy is bad right? Why not hire these people, pay them a decent amount, not too much and not too little, to ride bikes that power huge turbines to generate electricity? Or make it compulsory for everyone once in every ten years or so do it? Anyway, this is getting far fetched. You're going to say, it's not cost effective, it looks dumb, a person ride a bike and in front of him the bulb lights up...this and that. It's just a general idea.

But, when are we ever going to learn?

People, if any, in the future generations are going to look back and decide that we, their own forefathers and foremothers (if there is such a word) were stupid, ignorant and selfish idiots that destroyed their Earth and their living for them. And not only humans. Animals, every living thing that has no say to their lives. What are we doing to them?

What are YOU doing to them?