I watched Ip Man 2 today with my parents.
WUHOO!
It's really good. It's not everyday that I'll say I'm proud of my heritage as in being Chinese or even proud of what my erm, race invented, as in Chinese Kungfu.
Anyway, I wished there were more actions scenes with Donnie Yen fighting.
And, I sort of realise how Ip Man movies are marketed only to the Chinese in Asia.
I mean in the first Ip Man movie, it was about the oppression of the Chinese by the Japanese, and now the bullying behavior from the British/Caucasians?
Seems like their target audience is very small, yet there are many Chinese in the world, I know.
All right, hold your horses. I know Donnie Yen said he fought the Twister not because he wanted to prove Chinese kungfu is better, but that he wanted every one of different race and status to get along.
But you know.
It's a must show to watch! Just like Iron Man 2!
Somehow I find the stone-look of Donnie Yen very sexy!
So irritating right, haha!
And! I like how they don't input any like stupid love story in the show. Yes I know he's married and it's based on the real Ip Man's life. I'm just saying how I admire his wife, and that they didn't overly dwell on his love life in the story, unlike many other shows that are based on true stories but they always focus on stuff like love.
Don't tell me it's to widen the target audience.
Oh yes, my mom was telling me about them wanting to learn Taiji at the nearby community centre. I told her if it's cheap, I wanna join.
Mainly because I don't have a guy/girl to balance my yin/yang (besides a stuffed finger-puppet called Ernie and please take note that I'm very happy being single), I've decided I need to do some exercise that involves some sloth-like movements, and to learn something new and interesting!
Maybe you can leave out the interesting part, because I've never thought that Taiji is interesting. But I just want to be with my parents more.
I want to show that although I didn't let my other Y-chromosomes-carrying-sperms-half-me-fertilised-the-X-half-of-me and thus being a girl today, I'm the best daughter my mom will ever have (and I say this in the hopes of getting some luck in zutting neneh.)
By the way, talking about this, recently I just heard from my mom's mouth about the situation that happened during my birth.
The story is like this.
My mom had very irregular periods and hence had difficulty getting pregnant again after my eldest sister's birth (according to her, due to the 7 years worth of hormone treatments and visits to the doctor, she spent about 10k trying to conceive my second sister!), when she got pregnant with me, she was hoping like mad I'd be a boy ( I think a lot of you know this story by now).
Anyway, throughout her pregnancy she was hoping and praying that I'd be a boy and her Gynaecologist kept saying she couldn't see whether I had a penis or not (four times), and by that time, my mom got a hint that the Gynae was lying to her, because she knew my mom wanted desperately to have a boy.
But you know humans, always having hope...
Ya, anyway, when she gave birth to me (and this is like me being more than a month overdue and everyone told me that when I came into this world, my skin was freaking wrinkly and gross and I had a lot of those green birthmarks that happened if the baby stayed too long in the womb, although I must say today I have NO birthmarks. They say everyone sure have birthmarks right? I really don't! I can't find a single one on my body and believe me, I was an avid explorer of my body during my childhood days. And stop thinking dirty!) and the nurse said,
"CONGRATULATIONS MRS TAN! IT'S A GIRL!"
My mom said she bawled and cried and refused to hold me when she heard that.
I mean, all these years, I only know about this from my grandmother, who was there during all that (and I don't know if you remember but I told you all how I got my name. Family name for girls = 'Wen' and my grandma gave me the 'Er' = son in Chinese, because my mother refused to name/touch/be with me during that time), but I've never heard my mom admitting it.
I thought my grandmother was exaggerating it (like you know most elderly do) but when I heard it from my mom, I felt very bad.
Firstly, for not being a boy and I guess I couldn't have done anything about that.
(The Y-sperms were too slow and lousy! You can't blame me for winning the race!)
(The Y-sperms were too slow and lousy! You can't blame me for winning the race!)
Secondly, for making my mom suffer labour pains, staying more than a month overdue and turning out to be a girl and making her erm, healing AHEM get infected because she had to climb the stairs in our house last time and it reopened the stitches.
Just so you know, when women give birth naturally, the doctors sew up their AHEM because it tears open during birth.
So stop complaining that women complain too much k.
Thirdly, I was feeling very unsure because I don't know if my mom still sort of hated me for it. I mean, she has mentioned it many times about why wasn't I a boy and etc.
Although when I think how all these years she's treated me fairly well, except for all the caning and erm nevermind.
So it's like a very confusing thing to hear all this from my mom.
Anyway, back to the story.
My mom said that the doctor was dismayed by her rejection towards me and quickly said,
"But she's so cute! See? Madam Tan, your daughter's eyes are so big!"
But I must have been crying like mad and my eyes should have been closed and my skin all greenish and wrinkly, how could I have been cute, right.
My mom said she refused to feed/hold me when the nurses asked her to, and she never visited me in the baby room.
I think my other relatives were very worried about her rejection towards me because I heard they gave my mom a lot of gifts, most probably in the hopes of cheering her up.
When you think reasonably about it, why would you give someone so many baby shower gifts like for the third time right.
Some more I kept crying when she brought me home.
Like she put me down, I'd start crying.
Feed me, I start crying.
Sleep halfway, start crying.
Honestly!
You know they say we can't remember anything in our very early years because our hippocampus wasn't that developed and it's called infantile amnesia right?
But I swear upon my life, that my first memory was when I was very very young and my mom put me in this hammock thing that hung from the ceiling and the hammock is a red and white checkered cloth.
I remember me feeling very hot and I started crying. I tried to pull off the baby socks my mom put on my feet. Then I remember her coming in and putting it on and I cried even harder.
And I wasn't even sure this memory was real, and when my mom told me that my grandma bought me that hammock thing and I hated the thing because I kept crying and my grandma said it was because I was hot, then I told her about that memory. It's a real memory!
Yes, anyway, my mom just hated me.
My father seemed very absent in this story and I guess he was overseas during that time.
I really wonder how come my mom lasted her marriage with him. I mean, he was so absent from my childhood. If it were me, I'd be very prone to feeling quite begrudging about my husband. Eventhough it's not his fault fo being overseas to bring back money for the family. But seriously!
Some more he's not like very good looking, haha!
Okay weird.
If you think I'm like self-pitying, please put a full stop to your thoughts because honestly to me I think it's actually very interesting!
I can understand why my mom hated me, I would if I had a child too and she/he gave a stretch marks and tore my AHEM open (even though you might say it's not the child's fault but it is! Don't argue about what I said that it's not my fault about being a girl earlier because I won't care if I had a daughter or son.)
Anyway, from what I've heard from my mom and grandmother, I think my mom was quite mean to me, since I cried so much.
Developmental Psych would say that I'd have a very insecure attachment style because of this treatment and I guess it's true!
I cried everyday at childcare when my mom dropped me off. My mother even told me the teachers were scared of me because I cried non-stop. I didn't even sleep during nap times and sometimes I would cry myself to sleep!
I sound like a very annoying child. I'd hate myself if I were the childcare person! Omg. Then like secretly abuse me when no one's looking because I'm so noisy. Hahahaha!
My eldest sister also complained when my mom asked her to bring me to the childcare centre.
"BUT MOMMY! THIS ER ER ALWAYS CRY! DON'T WANT DON'T WANT!"
No calling me that.

