Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Truth Is ALWAYS Out There.

You realise you're getting older and out-of-tune with the younger generation when you start to NOT get their new acronyms like FTW or IKR or IDK or YOLO...

Honestly, I felt very confused and embarrassed that I didn't get what the hell does these acronyms mean when my friends on FB started posting it in their statuses or comments.

Like what the hell, how did these acronyms start and how the hell do other people know about it?

I'll admit that I googled the words...

"What does YOLO mean"

So stupid right...

By the way, FTW means "for the win", but what the hell does "for the win" mean anyway!? It doesn't even make sense. I think it's something like "this shit is damn good so it proves my point that this is THE SHIT", or something along those lines.

So dumb.

And I only heard of IKR and IDK and YOLO through using Tumblr...

Because a lot of kids are using Tumblr and they think it's damn cool to use such terms.

IKR = I know right

IDK = I don't know

YOLO = You live only once, OR You obviously lack originality.

HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE COME UP WITH SUCH STUPID ACRONYMS?!


I guess IDK or IKR is still acceptable, but YOLO!?

How would people decipher it?!

Who came up with this kind of shit anyway!?

My god.

By the way, tell you all something...

Sid's mom is a bit of a religious person (she's Catholic and so is he...) and she frequently goes to the Church with Sid's sister's family.

Nowadays, Sid's niece keeps asking his mom why doesn't Aunty Wen Er go Church? In an innocent kind of way...

And about 2 weeks ago, his mom was telling me how cute the niece was by asking that...
Although I got a bit of the feeling like she wants me to go Church as well (WTH).
By the way, WTH means what the hell. Hahaha.

Anyway, Sid came to my defense, because what can a girlfriend do right? 

Of course you can't argue back to your bf's mom that she's Agnostic and don't believe in all that crap about going to Church and etc, and unless there's really a God and he suddenly appears somewhere and threatens to smite you with his wand or something, I'd go to Church....

And seriously, I really don't get how bad a person can be if they don't believe in a religion, or subscribe to your religion, or don't believe in a God because he refuses to appear once and for all to document his existence to us!

A decent human being should not be labelled "decent" in believing in an entity.

I've not done anything bad in my life, well except for sometimes deliberately killing pests, stomping on ants and stuff like that...
Maybe I made someone else's life a misery, but who hasn't, right? 
Unless you're a hermit la.

Okay, going back to the story...

Sid told his mom, "MOM! How can you ask Wen Er to go to the Church? If I ask you to go to the temple, would you go a not?!"

I was laughing my maniacal laughter in my mind but posed a poker face (I'm thankful for my acting skills) and at that moment, my <3 for Mr Sidney Yee increased tremendously. HA!

Then she started sputtering some words about her going to a temple with her friend that day, etc etc.

Okay...

Going on, so last week, Sid and I had dinner with his mom, his sister and her family (husband and daughter)...

Suddenly, his niece asked again why Aunty Wen Er never go Church...

BECAUSE I BLOODY HELL DON'T WANT TO LA!

But you don't say that to a 2 years old girl.

So Sid's mom again told her granddaughter (Sid's niece/his sister's daughter),

"Because Aunty Wen Er hasn't found Jesus yet."

..........................

............................................

?????????????????????????????????????

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

That totally took me off my food.

It left me in such an awkward position right, that I really didn't know what to do.

Honestly, I felt very offended and insulted and worst of all, helpless.

Offended and insulted because, I don't want to find Jesus unless he appears and explains/teach us how he made life on Earth (IN DETAIL) and etc, thank you very much.

And are my own beliefs not even taken into account?

Just because I believe in Science and proven knowledge and the effort to seek the truth that is always out there?

So you might ask, why helpless?

Because his whole family there were kind of devout Catholics, and I really like them, regardless of their religion, and they are older than me, so I've got no right to say anything, because I'm only his girlfriend.
Also, I felt a bit victimised because I was the only non-Catholic there.

I wonder if his mom would have said a different thing if I had another religion.

What if I answer, "Because Natalie, Aunty Wen Er has already found Prophet Muhammad..."

LOL, that would have made his mom burst a vein in the neck.

Kidding k.

And the worst thing was, no one thought it was anything bad, or knew that I felt very uncomfortable when she said that, and no one stood up for me.

Sid told me he could see that I was uncomfortable and he's sorry about it...
I wished he'd tell her off again though.

I guess you might argue...

That is why Catholics/Christians/people with religions are told to try and marry/get together with another person with the same religion so no such conflict will happen, right?

Shut up.

Anyway, that day my eldest sister (who has now converted to a Catholic) told me if I do get married into a Catholic family in the future, the parents-in-laws will slowly psycho psycho you...when you give birth, they will slowly psycho psycho you, etc etc.

NO THANKS.

I'll keep to my own beliefs okay.

You respect mine and I'll respect yours.

And something she suddenly mentioned gave me a jolt. She said that when you get married to a Catholic guy, you'd have to attended classes for like a month, plus minus, before having a Church wedding, and they'll make you sign a paper to state that if you give birth to a child, you MUST bring the kid to Church or something like that.

To bring them up in a Catholic way.

WTF!?

That meant WHAT THE FISH, by the way.

What is this "Catholic" way?

Are Asian Catholics different from Eurasian Catholics?

I don't know if I've told you all before, and pardon me for repeating myself, but I really don't believe in putting a kid through Catholic classes/Sunday School and shit like that.

I know they teach you about goodness, what is good and bad, etc, morals and stuff, but please, throughout that journey, they also enforce young and IMPRESSIONABLE minds about the existence of a God.

Let me explain further into details, and please I'm saying this not to offend believers out there k? Just try and see things from a logical, practical point of view.

Young children, they don't know what is right and wrong, that is true. 

But they'll have this inherent trust in any authority, especially their parents and that few hours the parents put them with a known authority-figure like a teacher or pastor, and believe totally what they teach/preach them about.

So from a young age, if they're always told that Jesus exists, or a God exists, and you must have faith in Him, even if he choose not to appear, it is this faith that he'll reward you with his love.......

I really don't want to subscribe to this mode of upbringing.

I would like my child (if I ever have one), to be able to judge for themselves, and have the choice on whether to believe in a God in the future when they grow up.

Not tell them since young that THERE IS A GOD AND YOU'LL BE PUNISHED IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN HIM.

The worst thing is if my child turns out to be like those super annoying Christians/Catholics/whatever we all hate.

They go about telling new people they meet about their God, why they suddenly had faith in Him, how their lives were changed, and YOU should attend their Church/Temple/Mosque to get this feeling and feel their God's love too.

I'm getting a headache just thinking about this.

And it is not like not having a religion in the family creates a bad environment for the child to grow up in, what kind of logic is that?

You could be a devout Catholic but also be a serial killer.

I would just like any child in this world to have the option of growing up knowing about the existence of religions, and having the choice to believe in what he or she believes in. 

Not told and CONDITIONED from a young age that God does exists.

Serious, it's conditioning.

For a lack of a better word, it is something like brain-washing.

I sincerely apologise to anyone who takes offense to my way of thinking, but I really stand by my logic.

In all sense, you could also argue that even if a person has been brought up in the Catholic way since young, they can choose not to believe in God in the future, or be disillusioned...

The thing is, like Little Albert and James B. Watson's experiment on Classical Conditioning, he used a loud horn to startle a baby everytime it reached for a white bunny. 

So much so that the baby associated anything white and furry, or bunny-like to be bad and scary after a while.
The baby grew up with this fear still and in the Psychological world, it was considered to be an unethical experiment.

Hold your horses, I'm not saying Sunday School and whatnot is unethical, I'm saying along the same sense, the kid would grow up associating ANYTHING good with the work of Jesus/God, and that non-believers are not good, anything learned during the Sunday School is considered to be true and conditioned in their young minds to be real.

I'm not very good with words, and I might have been offensive to your beliefs, but I really don't know how to put it across any better.

I guess I'm very lucky that Sidney is very supportive of my own beliefs and have said that some thoughts I had about religions are true...
I feel glad he's really understanding and mature in every sense.

Knowing his mom, I think she'll do the psycho psycho thing if we do ever get married (I'm not saying we will), and especially about our kid (if we ever have one, TOUCH WOOD).

Hmm.