So recently I got a job offer (which when I'm officially confirmed, I will tell you guys about it. I don't wanna jinx it!) and people around me have been quite happy for me :)
Probably because they think I'm bumming around too much la, haha.
Anyway, so last Friday I wanted to tell Sid's mom the good news when I went over to his place.
I said, "Hey Aunty! I've got a good news to share with you..."
And his mom asked what was it.
So I told her I got the job offer.
She was genuinely happy for me, I could tell, and I felt happy to see her so happy, but the next thing she said really made me feel quite upset.
"WA!!! SO GOOD! I'm very happy for you! Do you know I've been praying for you? Every night before I sleep I'll say a prayer for everyone and for you to find a job! You see? So you must really thank God you know! He helped you to find a job!!!!"
Let me side track a bit...
The day when I heard I have a job offer, I went home and the first person I told was my mom, because my dad was out.
She was very happy for me, and she said I must thank God also, because he helped me find a job...
Because she went to Novena and made a prayer and donated S$20 to the church there, that's why I can find a job.
I felt very offended.
It seems almost as if I find a job, is not on my own merits.
Or my interview bullshit skills, or my hard work in studying for so many sickening years and finally graduating...
So I asked my mom, "But mommy, that time I applied for a job as a teacher with MOE in March, I also got it what, you mean you also prayed for me?"
Then she said, "No, never la, but I didn't want you to become a teacher what..."
Seriously...?
They're being damn irrational.
Associating EVERY good news to God's doing.
Okay, back to the main story...
So Sid's mom started going on about how her prayers to God always come through, and she believes in divine miracles, and I should believe in Him too...
I can swear, I almost heard a growing roaring sound in my head as she went on...
And she suddenly said something which really hurt me.
"So now I must pray that you become a Catholic too!"
I was like "WHAT THE FISH!?" in my mind but presented a poker face as I slowly edged towards Sidney's room where he was on his computer. He saw me and looked up as his mom followed me.
I felt like I was being cornered by her.
Then I asked, "Why?"
She started going on about Sid's sister being pregnant with her second child and she and her husband are having trouble finding another godparent for the second one.
Then she said because I'm not a Catholic, that's why they can't ask Sidney.
Number one,
WHAT THE FISH!?
Number two,
I'm not even freaking married to him, why am I in the picture?!
Number three,
and this is a genuine question. Must both parties in a relationship be Catholics in order for one of them to be a godparent?
Please don't give me this kind of bull crap la.
Honestly, I'm really sick and tired of these kind of people.
Don't they see how they're acting like one of those religious zealots?
The zealots who follow their faith blindly and keep pushing their God on you.
FISHING IRRITATING CAN!?
From now on, just programme your mind to read FISH as the expletive that has a meaning equivalent to the word "coitus" okay.
Her psychological BS started to make me feel guilty.
I feel like because I'm the only non-believer in the family, I have a feeling that they think that I'm pulling Sid away from their God. Then I feel like I'm not good enough.
But the feminist and logical part of me is saying, aiya ask them to shut the hell up la.
Obviously, people like that don't respect other's beliefs and if I can respect who they pray to, why can't they respect my own thinking?
You know, I can't believe she said that...
Sid felt very bad, and was apologising to me after that, and told me that I should ignore her.
But I have a very strong feeling that if I do get married to him, I'll kena worse and she'll even want me to convert or (TOUCH WOOD) my child/ren to Sunday School.
Never okay?
Not on my dead body.
I'll even write it in my will in case I die early and my kids are left alone. I'll explicitly state that they must NEVER be put through that, to not have any choice in the matter about their own beliefs.
She don't get that the more people like that who keeps pushing their religion on me, it creates an opposite effect that I feel like I hate it even more.
Sigh.