Sunday, July 01, 2012

WUHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so on 29th June 2012 (Friday), I finally started my first full-time job ever (after graduating), and I didn't want to say anything until I signed the contract, in case I jinx it...HAHA.

Actually, I sort of heard I got hired in early June, but with all the security clearance checks and medical checkups and stuff, it took quite a few weeks to get done and get processed.

The thing is, I have been hired by Mindef to work as a DXO (Defence Executive Officer)! I think my vocation is "Management Executive", sounds damn pro but I don't think it is la, hahaha.
Mainly, I'm doing HR, but in Maju Camp (near Sunset Way).

So all you guys who are still doing IPPT, and your test centre is there...hehe.

I'm really glad because it's really very near my house, and I have a direct bus there!

Although I feel very nervous about this because a lot of my colleagues are men, and there is a very steep learning curve because I'm posted in the Naval Logistics Department, and they like to use A LOT of acronyms and sometimes they forget about telling you what each acronym means unless you ask.

The building which I will be at is quite far in, so it'll be a chore to walk up that slope to the guard house and into the camp to the NLD building...
Luckily, my dad is kind enough to loan me the car to drive to work!
:D

The reason why I started work on a Friday at the end of the month is because initially I told the HR lady that I'd like to start on 2nd July, which is next Monday.

She was settling the stuff for me when she suddenly called me and asked if I wanted to start earlier, on Friday, although it is on quite a short notice.
This is because the government has some new salary revision for their employees as of 1st July 2012, to have like 7% more each month or something, which for me is almost S$300 more you know!

So add to my current pay (government jobs pay you by your education level, and for me it's an honours degree, so 3K+), I got a salary which I feel very surprised and happy about!

I mean, I never hoped of getting such a pay for my first job.
And I feel very very lucky to have gotten the job!

Okay, so let me tell you the whole process.

Because I ended school earlier than most of my peers (early May) as I didn't have exams in my last semester, I started looking for jobs since early February.
I was also advised by Sid to start early, which I feel very grateful about as he kept nagging me and gave me advice about work and stuff.

But the first job I applied to and got (the teaching one), I rejected the offer because I realised it wasn't what I want.

I went for a few interviews during late April and May, but I wasn't offered anything.

One of the early on jobs I applied to was with Mindef as a DXO (HR) and I was asked to go down to do the standard personality, logical reasoning and IQ test.

After that, I got a call and was asked if I would like to take up a job at Maju Camp as a DXO. She told me my job description and stuff but didn't tell me exactly where I'll be posted to.

So an interview was scheduled and I went down in the early part of June to attend it.

I was told I would have to write an essay to answer a question and get interviewed.

They asked me to sit down and the question I got was something like, "What do you think are the inter-generational challenges that we face in the Navy and how do you suggest to overcome it?"

Wa lao, I really got shocked you know.

First of all, I didn't know why they ask me things about the Navy and second, why am I asked this?!
I felt damn stupid and my mind was in a blank.

I panicked and realised the computer was connected to the internet.
HA!

So I tried to google for answers. 
They didn't say I couldn't...

NOPE!

Nothing like that came up at all, I felt even more stupid.

Then I thought, hey, the lady asked me to save my essay document on the desktop, maybe other candidates did it too...
So I searched the desktop for similar files and there is!

But you know what are their questions?!

"What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?"

"Do you have any hobbies?"

WHAT!?

My mouth just dropped open because I was thinking why am I so unlucky, and why is my question so difficult!?

I could almost hear myself screaming in my head as the minutes ticked by. I think they were interviewing for other jobs though.
I was given about 30 minutes for this task...

Then I squeezed my brain juices and thought, what does inter-generational mean? Seriously, I didn't really know the meaning of it because I was too shocked.

Then I wondered, what has changed between the past and present? And can affect the Navy?

EUREKA!

Technology loh.

I used my bullshit try-to-act-pro English coupled with my Social Studies knowledge, and came up with a not bad essay, but only with that point, so I felt like very hopeless already.

Although you might feel like I cheated, but I didn't break any rules! And in the end, I came up with the answer myself. 
But you have to commend me on my quick-thinking right?!

While I was waiting for my turn, this guy came out and he looked really confident about getting the job.

I think he's already a DXO but wanted a change of environment, which Mindef is very good about, because the organisation is so big...
He was talking to the HR and receptionist ladies like damn chummy like that.

I felt like Aunt Marge being deflated by the Accidental Spells wizards at the Ministry of Magic/St Mungo's Hospital of Magical Maladies and Injuries as all hope fled out of me.

But I thought, aiya, just give it my all!

As I was reading the JD the HR lady passed me, a lot of stuff was in acronyms, and they never explain what it meant at all, I felt very confused and like, "What the hell am I getting in?!", so during the interview, they asked me if I have any questions and I asked them one by one which acronym meant.

I felt like really dumb doing such things because I seem damn noob and idiotic, but I was curious ma.

I left the place feeling quite disheartened.
Like I knew I'm competing against people who are much more experienced than I am and quite hopeless. 
I didn't want my parents to think I'm a bummer and feel disappointed in me.
And I felt stressed because I heard some of my classmates already had a job...

Then, the next day, the guy who is my boss now, asked me to go down to Maju Camp for a unit preview, and see if I like the place and work environment. 
I was screaming, "YES! YES! OF COURSE!!!!" in my head but I calmly said, "Oh okay! I mean, yes..."

 He told me basically it's like a 2nd interview for me.

When I went there, I was really nervous because I've never been in an army camp before, not counting when I played rugby at RSN or er, the Home Team Academy all that...

So troublesome, cannot bring in photo-taking devices like my iPhone...
So now I'm using Sid's reservist damn budget Nokia phone, and everyday I must change my sim card. 

But never mind! I have a job so I'll happily do it! :D

Anyway, during the unit preview they told me I'm actually selected for the job already (I was whooping in my head but had to give a poker face) but I have to wait for the HR at CMPB to contact me and do up the contract and stuff.

A few tips for you all who are going to be fresh grads in the near future...

One thing about finding a job is that because employers can call you anytime, I had to bring my phone around everywhere, even to the toilet when I'm bathing!

I left it on the whole day because unlike me, working people starts work at 8+am...when I'm still asleep at that time.

And always check your phone for calls!
When I go out I hardly check my phone or use it so like Alastor Moody/Barty Crouch Jr. says, "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"

Next, always bring a pen with you when going for interviews. It's always better to use your own pen you're comfortable with when writing their essays or filling in their forms, and it's actually good to have a pen all the time, in case they call you and your have to jot down things they say.

Also, check your emails as often as you can.

The most often used method employers use to call you back for interviews is by sending out mass emails. 
So check your junk folders and please remember...

PLEASE DON'T KEEP YOUR ILOVE_ERNIE@GMAIL.COM KIND OF EMAIL ADDRESSES WHEN SENDING OUT APPLICATIONS.

I created a formal email account for sending out job applications.

Damn stupid to use like your old sexy_gurl1989@gmail.com or surfer_dude87@hotmail.com accounts.
So unprofessional.

One more thing, try to tailor/buy work clothes!

My eldest sister told me not to wear black stockings if I'm wearing a dress/skirt because she said it looks damn unprofessional...

Of course, clothes that show off your chest hair (if you're a guy and lucky for you if the HR lady like chest hair on men...I don't like it though...) or as much cleavage as possible, is always a good thing.

HA! No la, just kidding.

Anyway, I feel very relieved and happy about this job.

I had the orientation yesterday, and so far, my colleagues are very friendly and welcoming.
I feel so fortunate!
So happy!
HAHAHA.

Although I don't wanna jinx it, I've only met most of them for the first time yesterday, so...

I quite like my boss/es and my colleagues have been really helpful.

Oh no, I better sleep early to adjust my biological clock!

Goodnight!