Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Ministers, "Celebrities", Charity and Empathy?

I really detest how so-called Mediacorp artistes are always doing shows or commercials for charity, and asking the 'common people' for donations.

I would think people like Fann Wong or Chen Han Wei (That day there was this show featuring his freaking humungous home...) or Sun Yan Zi (However you spell her name...) would have enough money for their lifetime and be able to contribute much more than the average Singaporean.

You say if each Singaporean gave a dollar to charity, we'd be able to donate about 6 Million.

Hello, your houses are worth about that amount please.
Plus, minus.

Or best yet, our dear Ministers who earn the taxpayers' money.

Why not you be kind enough to donate like half of your monthly pay?

You can argue if you do so, all the charities would demand you not to show favouritism and donate to them as well.

However, I can say if you do so, your people would learn to love/appreciate you more. More than we do now, anyways.

You know, they claim that Ministers get such high pay to deter corruption.

In the first place, elected Ministers should not be corrupted or be prone to corruption, right?
Shouldn't there be checks and whatnot?
Well, of course that is an idealistic point of view.
But I really feel they should understand why Singaporeans feel so unhappy about their pay.

We slog like hell to earn that miserly 2-3k a month, to learn that our Ministers actually earn multiple times of that in a day.
They might say that the fate of our country lies in their policy making and decisions, but does that really account for that exorbitant amount of money paid to them, just for it?
I appreciate how they have brought Singapore to be so successful today.
But you must admit there were casualties in the sake of progress for our nation.
Were some of them actually fair, though?

They earn so much more than the US Presidents!
Now, US Presidents are really the ones who have lovers and haters.

It's like really weird to realise how huge the income gap in Singapore today is, and no matter how much you say it's better for the economy and whatnot, IT'S NOT.

NOT FOR THE REST OF SINGAPOREANS.

Plus, I feel very unhappy whenever I see those party campaigners (whether it's the SDP or PAP or WP or whatever) going around shaking hands with people, trying out the fitness corner amenities, to almost act like normal people. Etc etc.
When in fact, they know and we know, they're not (in terms of financially and socially).

I mean, why not do that when there are NO cameras around?

They're like such far-fetched ideas, you know?

And it basically just insults our integrity and intelligence. 
Do they really think we're stupid enough to think that they really care? Or believe that they use these fitness corner and whatnot every other day like some people? They probably have some membership to the gym or even have a personal gym at home!
All right, this could be unfair. There might be some who really do care. 
But if they do, and if they really care for the future of our country, please show it by demanding for less pay. 
Live the life financially like an average Singaporean, then we could actually consider you as equals and people to really be respected.
Or maybe have an equal amount of pay given to the US President.
That's not too exaggerating.
I mean, if you think about it, people will know you're actually doing it not for the money.

I'm not saying that you have not donated, but please, at least donate more?
I know charity is a personal choice, but seriously, try and not argue every time some one says you're paid too much with figures and facts on why you should be paid that much. It just makes you sound unfeeling and unsympathetic to the general public.

I'm not out to target anyone or any group of people in general, just stating how I feel.
I'm not poor, nor am I filthy rich, I live a comfortable life and I don't really care about politics in Singapore.
But even I feel that sometimes, things are too unfair to not be said.

Fann Wong/Christopher Lee and any other "celebrities".
If you really care, stop doing those weird/apparently dangerous stunts on national TV. I don't need/want to see that. I'd like to see you guys donate some of your money instead. More than you're giving now, if you really are anyway...