Monday, February 14, 2011

BALL? Or PAUL? Or 巴力?

That day, Sidney and I were watching "The Rite" in the theatre. 


It's about some guy called Michael Kovak who's studying to get into Priesthood or whatever you call it and because he wasn't that much of a believer, he was sent to Rome to learn about exorcism, plus because he wasn't squirmish about the dead and whatnot as he was working as a mortician in his home, etc etc. So he followed around a famous priest called Father Lucas (played by Anthony Hopkins)  who has done many exorcisms.

Actually the trailer makes it very clear as to what the whole plot is about, that it get's predictable. But I went to see it for the 'scary' factor.

Turns out when I asked Sidney, he believes in such things!

According to him, it's because (something like) the Church said it's real.

I was frankly, a bit shocked. 

As a born Taoist who was mistakenly brought up thinking that I'm a Buddhist, whose parents converted to Catholics, and now I'm an Agnoist, I've never really believed in such things, I mean, it's so incredulous to me, since I've never met anyone who was possessed or nor have I ever seen a ghost or have been possessed before..I've only heard about it but have never seen it for myself.

Plus, it doesn't really help whenever someone tells me they have a friend who've seen ghosts, never ever give me clear details on how they look like!
I'm a person that needs clear instructions and details, very important!
I need to visualise it.

Anyway, I was shocked he'd believe it was because I was thinking that, it doesn't mean the Church said it's real or they have Priests doing it or they sanction the training of Exorcists, means it's real..
I mean, I was just quite surprised how some people could have such faith in what their religion taught them from young, or how they reasoned around their religion.

I guess you could call me faithless.

But I just need to see, to believe.

Like a book Dian was telling me about, this guy was saying that it can't be that hard for God to suddenly appear and prove he's real, right?

How difficult could it be?

I'm sure with all his godly powers, he could spare some time to!

I'm really not being sacarstic, I just want to tell you things from an agnoist's point of view, I guess.
Well, don't say he wouldn't appear because he wants you all to believe him based on faith, yada yada..
I'm just reasoning from my point of view, that's all. 
I'm not saying Sidney's crazy or whatever to believe in it, I was just surprised, like I didn't expect a person like him would believe in such stuff.

Anyway!

There was this scene in the show where this 16 year old girl got possessed, and she's heavily pregnant, so when the demon inside her gets dominant, she undergoes crazy contortions and stuff.

It was frankly a bit disturbing to see her doing weird things, being possessed. I was very afraid for her baby! There was a scene where she lifted up her dress and tried to seduce the young guy, and she wasn't wearing any undies...

Although it was quite sexy, but I just felt a bit weird, like I've never seen any pregnant women acting horny and possessed and seductive in movies before.


Yes, and another thing, the guy acting as Michael Kovak was not bad looking!


All that time, I was thinking like what a waste he's going to become celibate and how can a father be so good looking, hahahaha.

Okay, the photo above isn't very flattering, but I think he looked not bad in the movie!
Although, my gaydar is telling me he might be gay...Hmm.

Anyway, at the last part when Michael was trying to exorcise Father Lucas, he was trying to get the demon to say his name so as to exorcise him.

Anthony Hopkins starting shouting (what I heard), "PAUL!!!! PAUL!!!!!!! PAUL!!!!!!!!!!"

And I was reading the chinese subtitles, which were "巴力!!!!!!! 巴力!!!!!!!!! 巴力!!!!!!!!!!!".

But after that, Michael started saying, "By the power invested in me by the Lord...........I bid thee, 'BALL', to go back to where you came from!"
(Okay by the way, I made up what he said, sounds more like a marriage ceremonial thing a Father would say, but whatever, you get what I mean..Haha!)

I quickly turned to Sidney and asked him, "What if he heard the demon's name wrongly!??!"

Because, I did! I mean, what the hell. 
It's not like the demon would shout his name out again right? 
And what if the demon had a ridiculously long name like for example, "Murugalaman" (it could be an Indian demon), or "Lactobacillus? 
Or etc etc.

If I'm the Father, I'd be like WTF!?

Or, do you mean they'd only have Latin names?

I don't know!?

This is so weird.

Has any Priest ever got the demon's name wrong before?

Hmm.

But I'm pretty sure Priests who have hearing problems (like I do) shouldn't be doing exorcisms though.